Home

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The spice of Life

Pheasant tail feathers gathered by my son. We
released about 50 birds for a hunt taking place
the following day in a wildlife management area.



Now that I've been blogging for two months, I think it would be fun to share a bit more about myself with my readers! When I check out other people's blogs, I'm always drawn to the 'about me' section. I want to know what drives them to run a whole website (which takes TONS more time than I realized), and what they're like as a person. I think it's the same for many of you out there.

My hubby and I at Fairy falls in Yellowstone National Park.
It's fantastic to live so close; we camp here every summer.
Looking back, I feel I have been blessed in my life by meeting some of the most talented and wonderful people in the world. I feel I've learned something from each person and in some way I've received a bit of wisdom from them. Either directly from that person, or some circumstance in their life that has affected them for good or ill. I've always lived my life with this mantra. I also believe each person that comes into my life is meant to, that God orchestrates our lives far more than we realize.
This year has been full of ups and downs for me and my family. Life was great one minute, and then it fell apart the next. I have always felt a surety in what I was doing, that I was meant to be where I was and what I was doing. But I lost that surety when my husband and I lost our jobs as housing managers and we had to move out of our place. It didn't feel right, like it wasn't meant to happen. I felt like we were being punished for no reason. Though it's been difficult, there is hope for the future. Camron only has two more semesters until he graduates with a bachelor's degree in wildlife management. Much of my new hope also comes from this new adventure of mine, in creating 'The Goldilocks Kitchen". I know you're thinking that sounds really sappy, but it's 100% true, even if it is sappy! :0)


I've wanted to try this whole 'food blogging' thing for some time, but I always felt I just didn't have the time
One of the first pics I took with my new DSLR camera. The
wind was blowing my son's streamers, but I didn't quite catch it
in time for the shot.
or resources to do it. Now that I have more free time on my hands, I really wanted to try it! Cooking became one of my favorite things to do a few years ago, and I often browsed the web for new recipes to try. My husband and I love to entertain and have people over to our home for dinner. We enjoy visiting with folks and getting to know them better.
One of my dearest friends started a food and craft blog a while ago called 'Love and Laundry', and she is now what I would consider a blogging pro. She would often tell me about the ups and downs of running her own blog. I started to consider it too, as a way to share my most favorite recipes and make a few 'bonus' dollars on the side by placing advertisements on my blog.
My son Aidan waiting for his brother Shiloh to count out
rounds for their dad's .22 rifle. This was their first
opportunity to learn the importance of gun safety.
When I made the decision to start this blog, I had an incredible resource in my friend Shatzi. She has been essential in helping get this blog started and making it successful. I am so thankful to have her in my life. I had a wonderful launch the beginning of last month with a debut party to celebrate. Of course I was an idiot and forgot to take my camera! But the party was a hit! With some help I prepared some of my favorite recipes for folks to come and try, and I had way more people show up that expected! It was wonderful and I look forward to turning that into an annual event.
As for right now, I have great plans for December's posts by featuring some specialty dishes for all of you! My thoughts are concentrated on our return home to New Mexico for the last half of the month, and I plan on cooking up some great New Mexican food to share with all of you. I feel there is no greater place to celebrate Christmas than in the Southwest. There are many ethnic traditions that have continued into the modern day, bringing such charm to celebrating the holidays there! I'll share more with you about them as I post the recipes for this month.
Trumpeter swans flying south for the winter. We've seen loads of them! Our part of Idaho must be a major highway for the fall migration. Moose are mighty plentiful here too. We see at least one every time we drive into the mountains.
And Thank you, thank you, to all of you who read and try these recipes, and who support this blog. I am anxious to connect with my readers and would welcome any feedback you have on my recipes. I want to learn and continue to improve my efforts. I am a person who loves making friends and taking the time to talk and get to know people. This adventure has been so exciting for me and I look forward to the blessings I know it will bring.

3 comments:

  1. Emily,
    I loved your pictures and your recipes. Where did you found the pheasant feather, which wild life management area?
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea! The pheasant feathers fell off the birds while they were waiting in their cages for release. My husband volunteers for the Idaho Fish and Game, and they sent him out last fall with crates and crates of farm raised Ring Neck Pheasants to release. This particular time we all tagged along with him to the Mud Lake WMA. There were more than 50 birds!
      If you'd like to watch us do it, here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32jaTwNquGs

      Emily :0)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

09 10