Home

Friday, March 7, 2014

Barbecued Dry-Rubbed Chicken


Wow! This has got to be one of my new favorite recipes, and will definitely be my go-to recipe for barbecued chicken. This Barbecued Dry-Rubbed Chicken recipe seasons the meat with a rub that ends up melting as the chicken cooks and turning into an incredibly savory glaze.

It's truly incredible chicken. Rubbing meat with spices is an excellent way to season meat for the grill. But then you miss out on the sticky, savory glaze that screams 'barbecue'. Basting your meat with barbecue sauce gives you that great glaze and sticky fingers, but the glaze doesn't have time to really penetrate and season the meat. With this recipe you get the best of both worlds! It's mmm mmm good, and I don't think I'll ever buy a bottle of store bought barbecue sauce again.

I have a confession to make. Every time I used our grill (previous to this recipe), epic fails resulted. Every time. I have stomped and thrown fits and wanted to throw our grill on some train tracks somewhere. (Are you sensing my frustration here?) I would follow the recipe instructions exactly~ and end up with black lumps of coal for food. So I relegated all the grilling to my husband.

When this recipe came along, I made up my mind to figure out how to use our gas grill. No matter how many times I had to make it, I wouldn't give up. The third time was the charm, and this is what I ended up with! A whole plate full of YUM!


Gas and charcoal grills operate very differently and I"m not going to get into all of that. But I will share with you what I learned about using my gas grill. I finally figured out that I needed to let my grill temperature fall to the desired range after preheating before placing my food on it. I was placing food on the grill when it was still almost 500 degrees. DUH! Plus there is a lot of fat rendered from the skin on the chicken. I had a major grease fire in my grill at one point too. That also blackened my food very quickly.
Lessons learned: 1. Check the grill temperature. 2. Watch for grease fires. 3. Wait for the grill to cool some after preheating.

Every delicous bite is well worth the effort to learn your grill and have Barbecued Dry-Rubbed Chicken on your dinner plate tonight! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. Please let me know how it goes, I always love feedback!


This recipe adapted from


Barbecued Dry-Rubbed Chicken

by The Goldilocks Kitchen
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 40 to 50 minutes
Keywords: grill entree July 4th American spring summer fall
Ingredients (4 to 6 servings)
    Dry Rub
    • 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    • 2 teaspoons chili powder
    • 2 teaspoons paprika
    • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pepper
    • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
    • 1 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    chicken
    • 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces
    • (breast pieces halved crosswise and drumstick and thigh separated)
    Instructions
    1. Prepare the chicken by blotting dry with paper towels. Combine all ingredients for the dry rub and divide evenly in two separate bowls. Set one bowl aside. Rub the other bowl of seasoning all over chicken pieces and under the skin.
    2. Cover and refrigerate seasoned chicken pieces for at least 30 minutes or up to an hour.
    3. While chicken is in the fridge, preheat your grill. Scrape clean and oil the grate. When the grill has reached a temperature of about 325 degrees, (low or medium low) it's ready for the chicken pieces. (Each grill is different, whether you use charcoal or gas. I burned three batches of chicken before I figured out I had to let my gas grill cool down for 20 minutes after preheating to come to the proper low temperature.)
    4. Place the chicken skin side down and grill until the skin is crisp and well browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
    5. Dredge the skin side of the partially cooked pieces in the second bowl of seasoning and return to the grill, skin side up. Grill, covered, until the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees for white meat, and 175 for dark. The rub will melt and turn into glaze on the chicken. Remove, tent with foil for about 5 minutes, and serve.
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    09 10